Installing Python and Psychopy for Windows
If you do not use Python for purposes other than PsychoPy experiments, you are advised to use the PsychoPy stand-alone Windows installer. Choose StandalonePsychoPy-1.85.4-win32.exe or something newer if present.
Stand-alone post install
You may want to install additional packages. For instance the RuSocSci package for using the buttonbox.
The authors of Psychopy have written these instructions for this.
Alternatively you may want to install additional packages using the following method:
- open a command window with administrative privileges (start -> 'cmd' -> run as administrator)
- Go to the folder containing pip.py (C: -> CD "Program Files(x86)\PsychoPy...\...\...")
- for each package that you want to install type python pip install <pachage name>
Windows with PsychoPy 1.85.4 as library
If you already have Python 2.7 installed on your computer or if you want to use Python for other purposes as well, you are advised to install PsychoPy as library. This is substantially more work. Perhaps you would really prefer installing Linux on your system rather than doing this.
Doing this has become simpler with psychopy 1.85.3. Note that for the first two steps in the following instructions you need administrative privileges and for the third one it may be necessary. Chronological instructions:
- Install the newest 32 bit version of Python 2.7. You can download it here. If that does not work, go here and choose the 32 bit installer (Windows x86 MSI Installer). During installation choose 'add python.exe to path'.
- Install wxwidgets 2.8 If that does not work, go here and choose wxPython2.8-win64-unicode-188.8.131.52-py27.exe. It is the ancient library used by PsychoPy for its IDE. It is essential that you do NOT install wxpython/wxwidgets from another source.
- Download this file (right-click -> save link as...) with all other requirements. Use Windows file Explorer to go to the folder where you downloaded it. Shift-right-click to the right of the files (make sure the window is wide enough). Choose 'Open command window here'. From a command line type:
pip install -r DEPS1853.txt
Enjoy watching, and see if there are any errors.
- Now Psychopy is installed on your system. You may want to make a link that opens C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\psychopyApp.py with C:\Python27\pythonw.exe and has C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\Resources\psychopy.ico as icon.
I thank Christoph Gohlke for compiling the individual packages